March 16th, 2012
The eco friendly industry is booming! From eco apparel to eco shoes, there are so many “green” products on the market today. Here are 5 of the most unusual eco friendly products out there!
1) Eco Friendly Coffin - A company sells caskets made from banana sheaves, bamboo or pandanus that decomposes together with the body as a way of promoting ecologically-friendly burials. This Ecoffin of Ecoffins takes six months to two years to biodegrade. The company’s marketing director, Joanna Passarelli, said their Ecoffins is better for the environment than cremating bodies. The lowest price for this ecofriendly product is $800.
2) Eco Friendly Pet Furs – Ever wanted to make accessories from your pet fur? Probably not, but if you did, it’s entirely possible thanks to Danelle German, a professional cat groomer from South Carolina. She started a business called Catty Shack Creations as a means of reusing beautiful cat fur instead of throwing it away. Her inspiration came when a friend of Danelle’s asked her to clip her pet’s hair so that it could be spun into yarn. First the pet is thoroughly washed to make sure the fur is clean and tangle free. Then the pet is shaved. Many pet owners have their pets shaved to help their pets survive the hotter weather and to help make it easier for the owner to keep their pets well groomed. The fur is then collected and cured for a few days. The hair fibers are then carded, spun into yarn and finally knitted into handbags.
3) Eco Friendly Remote Control – Sony challenged Industrial Design students from China to design an eco-friendly device. One of the participants from Dong Hwa University came up with a unique creation called the Sony Conductor TV Remote. It’s a wand shape kind of remote that needs to be swayed side to side to power it on and the green LED light glows to indicate its power level. To start navigating, one can wave the conductor left and right to change your TV set’s volume, up and down to change channels and in a circular motion to switch your TV set on or off.
4) Eco Friendly Moss Carpet – They say walking on fresh grass increases your blood circulation. The Moss Carpet, created by Nguyen La Chanh, brings the grass to your feet! Made from imputrescible foam called plastazote, the mat includes ball moss, island moss and forest moss. It is made for your bathroom as the humidity ensures that the moss thrives.
5) Pollution Sensitive Dress – Don’t be caught outside unaware of pollution levels in the air. The pollution-sensitive ‘EPA Dress’ by Stephanie Sandstrom detects pollution in the air and wrinkles accordingly. It might protect your health by advising you to stay indoors for the day, but it won’t do you any favors fashion wise.
So whether you are shopping for an eco friendly burial or a live moss rug for your bathroom, these products are out there for you!